Monthly & Alternative Publication memberships
Why do monthly & alternative publications want to be members?
Monthly publications — ranging from newspapers to alt publications to magazines — are on the rise. They provide a variety of services to their communities and readerships.
But who is providing services to them? Many monthly publications face the same struggles as weeklies and dailies in terms of balancing resources and plans, training their staffs, etc. The CPA can help.
Whether it's through our legal and lobbying efforts or by providing trainings and networking or helping find freelance writers, our monthly members see great benefits.
Monthly and Alternative members get a variety of benefits. For details on membership benefits, click here or download a more complete list with the pdf on this page.
Requirements for membership:
A publication shall be eligible to for Monthly/Alternative Publications Membership by meeting the following requirements:
- The publication must be published and printed in an accepted newspaper or magazine format, standard or tabloid, and meet the ethical, news and typographical standards generally recognized by the newspaper and magazine profession.
- The publication must have a known Colorado-based office of publication, open to the public, where the business of the publication is transacted during usual business hours, with a local telephone listing.
- The publication shall be published consecutively for at least one year prior to application for membership. It shall be published at least monthly and shall also bear a fixed title or name, datelines and numbered volume sequence.
- The publication must annually publish, verify and submit to the Association accurate circulation figures, based on a recognized auditing agency, a sworn post office statement, or a duly notarized statement.
- The yearly average of news-editorial content shall not be less than 25% of the publication. Of news-editorial content, at least 75% shall be produced by the local staff of the newspaper or purchased from recognized news sources such as Associated Press, Scripps Howard or similar news services.
Currently, Monthly/Alternative members pay a standard fee of $850 annually.
To apply for membership:
You can either download the pdf on this page or you can apply online.