Obits graphic angel funeral

Tony W. Colnar, linotype operator for 37 years with Englewood Press

Tony W. Colnar, 98, died Nov. 6, 2017. He was a World War II veteran, serving in the U.S. Army in the 833rd Engineer Aviation Battalion. Colnar also worked for 37 years as a linotype operator for the former Englewood Press.

He is survived by a daughter, Beverly (Tom) Kelly; a son, Kenneth (Kathy) Colnar; two grandchildren and a great-grandchild; a sister, Ann Kurtz; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife of 67 years, Minnie.

A funeral mass took place Nov. 16 at Most Precious Blood Catholic Church, Denver, followed by interment at Fort Logan National Cemetery. Memorial donations may be made to Rocky Mountain Honor Flight.

Duane ‘50’ Miles, Journal-Advocate veteran & CPA 2004 Golden Makeup Rule award winner

Duane “50” Miles, 82, well-known for his many roles at the Journal-Advocate in Sterling, died Oct. 23, 2017, in Greeley. He loved to work and was still working up until April of this year. Born in Fleming on June 24, 1935, to Edward and Ruby (Davis) Miles, he attended Blackhawk Elementary School (a one-room schoolhouse) through eighth grade, then Fleming High School. He lived on a grain farm west of Fleming until he graduated.

Duane Miles obit

Duane "50" Miles

Miles married Ferol Louise Reynolds on June 2, 1963. At the time he was working for the Journal-Advocate. He started in the newspaper business right out of high school, on the staff of the High Plains Journal in 1953. He began in the production department, learning Linotype “flat casting” and “pig pouring” on the job. Miles worked in a variety of jobs at the newspaper, including pre-press production, printing press, building maintenance and systems operations. Over the years, he learned new technology and mentored others. He also worked at a newspaper in Ogallala, Neb.

At the Journal-Advocate, he became self-taught on the computer system, becoming the “computer guru.” He worked in the dark room, in page layout, the production process and with the printing press. He was honored in 2004 with the Golden Makeup Rule award from Colorado Press Association – which goes to those who have worked 50 years or more in the industry. A published obituary said, “He loved being known by his nickname ‘50’ and made sure everyone could count on him for anything.”

He and his wife adopted two infant children, in 1968 and 1969. He was very active in his children’s activities and took many photos that were published in the newspaper. He was the first soccer referee in Sterling and spent numerous weekends at the soccer fields even after his children’s participation ended.

He also worked with Sterling High School students at the Journal-Advocate on what is now the school’s magazine and news site, Bengal Cry. In addition, he went to the Elks Lodge #1336 in Sterling several times a week, and created the Elk’s Bugle newsletter for many years. With his passing, the lodge dedicated the November 2017 edition to Miles.

Miles enjoyed fishing, building model airplanes with Cox engines, gardening, watching sports of all kinds (especially the Denver Broncos, the Denver Nuggets and the Colorado Rockies), barbecues, time with his dog Benji, and listening to the police scanner (not just work-related) and memorizing all the police 10-codes, noted the obituary. He loved photography, even taking a course in New York City, and took many photos for the newspaper, some of which earned Colorado Press Association contest honors. He also helped the sports department, often shooting more than one high school game a day for them.

Miles retired from full-time work in 2010 when the pre-press department was closed, but continued to work with the Journal-Advocate to provide maintenance, delivery and other miscellaneous services. Even if he wasn’t working, he often visited the newspaper office to see his former coworkers. He continued with the newspaper until this year, when his health no longer allowed him to work.

Said Publisher Julie K. Tonsing in an article by Editor Sara Waite on the Journal-Advocate website: “50 was one of those people that you are so lucky to have come into your life. He made every day better for those around him. He will be sorely missed for his many contributions to our profession, but our lives will never be the same again because of the wonderful man and friend he was.”

He is survived by his wife Ferol, of Sterling; a daughter, Misti (Randy) Pierce, of Sterling; a son, Scott Miles, of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil; five grandchildren; and a sister, Vada (Herb) Bracht, of Johnstown. He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Maxine Miles; brothers Lowell and Dean Miles; and sisters-in-law Barb Miles, of Greeley, and Jan Miles, of Denver. Services took place Oct. 27 at Chaney-Reager Funeral Home, followed by graveside services at Sterling Riverside Cemetery. Memorial donations may be made to the Elks Scholarship Fund.